Sunday, September 11, 2016

being sorry vs an apology

What I love about prayer and meditation, is that you find yourself back on track sometimes.

I am not prepared to really talk about forgiveness in a way that I have words for, but I remembered this valuable lesson this morning.

Sorry is the empty word we say when we step on a shoe or bump a person.  Or break their pencil.  very simple and sometimes no depth is necessary.

An apology comes with it a commitment to change one's ways.  When I apologize I am committed to changing my behavior as restitution.  I was reminded further to meditate on it by spending time with one of my mentors, Dr. Amy Shuman,
we were at her house noshing and talking and catching up.
As an orphan it is nice to have trusted folks who dont see you as a project per se, but over time you have become part of their family.

She apologized for not being around when I was really down.  But she was abroad and didnt know about it.  Her calling and checking up on me and making sure I am okay in the way she does it was part of this apology, she had a behavior change.

All this reminds me of the song "sorry seems to be the hardest word" but performed by Mary J Blige

sorry video

it rocks me to my core every time because the real apology is really hard.

but when you really care about people, you try to do the right thing, even if things are wounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment